How to Organize a Girls in ICT Day
There is no particular model or template to organize Girls in ICT Day events. ITU invites and encourages Ministries of Communication, Education, National Regulatory Authorities, Private sector companies, academic institutions and NGOs to organize local or national events on or around the International Girls in ICT Day, targeting teenage girls and university students.
The International Girls in ICT Day is celebrated on the 4th Thursday of April each year. The stakeholders are welcomed to plan their event on the official date or depending on the local holidays and context the Girls in ICT Day event can be held in the weeks around the 4th Thursday of April.
The vision for your event is to empower and encourage girls and young women to consider studies and careers in the growing field of ICTs.
What kind of events?
- Fun and instructive “Open Days” at an ICT company, government agency, or any ICT-related institution
- “Women in ICT career days” at local schools with guest speakers
- Inviting women role models in ICT sector to share their experiences
- Running contests, offering prizes and awards
- “Hands on” experiences such as developing a mobile app
- Career fairs
- Mentoring and shadowing programmes
There’s no set style of an event – choose something that you like and that will be manageable.
ITU will be pleased to provide recognition and visibility for your efforts if you send us pictures and videos of your event which we can then feature on our website.
ITU encourages you to highlight to potential sponsors and partners, that your event is an effort that responds and contributes to the ITU Plenipotentiary Resolution 70 (Guadalajara, 2010) approved by all ITU Member States, which calls for the celebration of the International Girls in ICT Day worldwide.